Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Where can I get....

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    These are really nice looking speakers:

    http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/s...target=tlx_new

    Is that just speaker cloth stapled over the bottom half of the speaker?

    Also, those Altec labels/strips right above that, where can you get those from? Are they called by something in particular?

    Those little horns on the top are those for mids or highs? What are those? Is that worth doing?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I believe that's just speaker cloth.

    Not sure what it's called other than a branding label.

    That's a super tweeter used to extend the highs. If you look at my avatar you can see I agree with the extension idea. I wonder if that person has it turned 90 degrees from what it's supposed to be?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by ClassicComics:
    Is that just speaker cloth stapled over the bottom half of the speaker?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a fully framed grill. I've neever seen one on person, but they are on Ebay quite often. They came on the newer cabinets.

    Also, those Altec labels/strips right above that, where can you get those from?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Off of a pair of grills....... I've never seen them offered separately. I'm not sure if they are a thin strip, or if they are an extruded piece of channel. The ones from my 1221A stage monitors were extrusions.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm pretty sure Bowtie is right and I have seen these pics before from member DGWOJO.

    The grills are factory and add a very nice touch to such a large box.

    I don't know beans about the search function here but allot of the knowledge I do have about altec speakers came from Dave Wojo!

    If you have a fast connection then try searching threads by DGWOJO and see what that produces.

    Gary

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I sold my pair to a member on the left coast some time ago, but I scanned the logo before shipping them out. It must be on my other PC, at least a quick look on this one didn't find it. If you build some and want it to make decals or a mask, I'll try to find it.

    IIRC, the alum. extrusions might be hard to find exact matches for. I still have a pair on my 1231s (different size than A7s) if you want cloning details.

    I'm a diehard DIYer, but I don't think I'd attempt to clone them, just not worth the effort even if you could find the right matls.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I should be able to build a little frame and cover it in speaker cloth... no problem.

    Do you know if anyone makes a reproduction of that branding label strip, or do I have to just keep watching ebay? I already do a lot for altec stuff and have not seen these offered before....

    THANKS!

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    The pic looks like some of member dgwojo's A5's/A7's.

    Grills are stock 828 grills i believe, the Altec logos are in two pieces, there's an extrusion that gets screwed to the grill frame, then the flat aluminum strip with the graphics simply slides in place and is held there by friction only. Facsimiles can be "created" using parts from grills from the 12XX series of PA boxes.

    EDIT: Bear in mind that the VOTT boxes pictured are "late model"(828H?) and have the panels above and below the port recessed ~1 inch so that when installed, the grills are flush with the front of the cabinet. Since i built my VOTT's without a recessed front, my compromise has been to attach the aluminum logo assembly to the front of the "L" board used to mount the HF horn, and leave the cab grilless.

    I "think" the tweeters in question are EV ST-350's.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 23, 2008 12:24 PM: Message edited by: bowtie427ss ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anyone know what the dimensions on these grills were? Just curious to what the original specs were for the whole thing assembled...

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    They won't fit your cabs, they're for the later versions with a one piece recessed opening like shown here, so you can work it out from the dims shown, but I don't see the point.

    GM

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's too bad, cause they are really sharp looking.... I was thinking I might buy these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

    And I could at least pull the badge strip off of them... of course, now that I posted it here someone else will probably bid on them...

    Just in case.... any thoughts on these?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.